Disclosure: Some of the links below are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, I can earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.
I am not a firm believer in New Year’s resolutions. I think they typically stick for a month or so because I think we often times aim too high and/or too broad.
Last year my resolution was “to simplify”. I wanted to have less crap in my home. Having two boys under 2 meant I felt like I was drowning in unused baby gear, clothing they outgrew constantly, and a gazillion trucks and action figures.
I purged the play room, the closets, the junk drawers, my wardrobe.
It ended up being a really great way to clean out the house, but it wasn’t some dramatic lifestyle change.
I’d say we have the same amount of stuff a year later…whoops!
Last year wasn’t a complete flop but it was more of a fresh start that fizzled out. There’s nothing wrong with a clean out, though, and I do think the New Year is a perfect time for that.
So if you are craving that freshly organized, got it all together, productive and clean January vibe then I recommend going over to for the January Cure. I have done this for years and really enjoy it!
I also have a Amazon gift card from Christmas that is going towards random cleaning items. It’s like one of those “you might be a redneck” jokes but about adulting:
If you have a Mr. Scrappy Brush, you might be an adult!
Now back to the resolution side of things….this year I still will set some, but I’m thinking if I blog about it and put it out into the universe, I will feel more tied to it.
I want to focus on:
- Reading each kid a bedtime story every night (poor Tom gets a few a week, but not like how we started out with Sam, second child problems!)
- Working out a minimum of 3x a week (hopefully more, but I don’t want to fail)
- Committing to date nights (we are busy people, but had a really fun date night last week and I am determined to come up with something fun each month)
To stay accountable, I plan to incorporate these into my blog as a sort of check-in point for myself as well as blog content for anyone interested. I think blog series are fun to follow and they also help me out with delivering better content as well as preventing writer’s block.
Here are my blog plans to go along with my resolutions:
- A monthly book review. I love childrens’ books! But they are definitely not all created equal. There have been many books that were picked up due a cute cover that have fallen flat. Travis and I often wonder if people are really making money off such bad books. So, once a month I will fill you in with a favorite that I highly recommend!
- I don’t want to write about how I have been working repeatedly over the next 12 months. That sounds pretty dull. But, I am going to commit to a once monthly post that revolves loosely around my efforts in the gym. Morning vs evening work outs. My favorite yoga pants. What
podcast I am hooked on. You get the idea! I’ll feel like a fraud writing about these things if I am slacking, so I am hopeful this will keep me going!
- Date night ideas. There is no shortage of date night recommendations on Pinterest. I know I am not going to reinvent the wheel here. But, I like to think I am a frugal and creative person who can inspire you to mix it up a little. I am so looking forward to this resolution!
And there you have it! I am looking forward to what 2019 brings and wishing all my readers a Happy New Year!
If you feel like sharing, let me know your resolution in the comments!